As engine development can be a bit frustrating from time to time I jump a bit between trying to improve my engine and playing with a GUI prototype.
Lately I worked on a pairing algorithm for round robin tournaments. Here each engine plays all other engines for a given number of rounds.
The algorithm should create a pairing with a certain number of constraints like
- Work with both an odd and even number of players
- Let each engine play equally with White and Black (as close as possible) even if the number of rounds is 1 or odd.
- If an engine played one game with White it should play the next game with Black (in most cases against a different opponent)
- If the number of rounds is even, create for each other round the same engine pairings with colors reversed and assign the same opening id.
- Create a pairing sequence where an engine does not play a lot of games in a row (e.g. avoid a sequence where first engine A plays all the N-1 opponents and then engine B plays N-2 opponents etc.)
It still requires some care to match all of the above constraints but the is solves most of them naturally.