Saturday, January 18, 2014

Material signatures and std::map


iCE uses material signatures to classify material combination where it has special knowledge for. It uses a simple enumeration as id for certain material combinations

// ENDGAME IDENTIFIER FOR KNOWN ENDGAMES WITH SPECIAL MODULES
enum EEndGameId { EG_UNKNOWN, EG_KK,
                  EG_KNK, EG_KBK, EG_KRK, EG_KQK, EG_KPK, ...,  EG_MAXCOUNT };


Simple stuff so far. The interesting part is the code that assigns the correct id to a position. So far iCE was using the trivial approach. It just performed a long list of comparisons.

switch (bb.pcsCount)
{
case 2:    return EG_KK; break;
case 3: 

if (bb.pcsTypeCnt[W_KNIGHT] == 1 || bb.pcsTypeCnt[B_KNIGHT] == 1)  return EG_KNK;
if (bb.pcsTypeCnt[W_BISHOP] == 1 || bb.pcsTypeCnt[B_BISHOP] == 1)  return EG_KBK;
if (bb.pcsTypeCnt[W_ROOK] == 1   || bb.pcsTypeCnt[B_ROOK] == 1)    return EG_KRK;
if (bb.pcsTypeCnt[W_QUEEN] == 1  || bb.pcsTypeCnt[B_QUEEN] == 1)   return EG_KQK;
if (bb.pcsTypeCnt[W_PAWN] == 1   || bb.pcsTypeCnt[B_PAWN] == 1)    return EG_KPK;
break;  



This was ok as long as the number of modules was rather small, but over time I added more and more knowledge to iCE and this list grew. Currently iCE has special code for 40 endgames. So the above list was already rather long. It was not really a performance problem. The code is executed only when the material on the board changes and often it just stays as it is. But such a long list is not really elegant.

I considered three alternatives.

1.)
Using a table where I store the endgame ids which is indexed by the lower part of the material hash key. This should be very fast as it is just a look-up. I determined that for my kind of material hash keys I need a table of 8192 slots to allow a collision free perfect hash as long as I restrict the signatures  to 5 men or less positions.  This is currently the case but might change in the future. When adding 6 men positions the size of the required table for a perfect hash will be much bigger.

2.)
Storing the material hash keys of the interesting positions along with the id in a sorted list and then do a binary search in the list. This is a very compact data structure, search will take a bit longer.

3.)
Use the material hash key directly as underlying value in the enumeration. But this is ugly.

The implementation for 1 is straight forward. For the the second I used a std::map container. This is pretty cool. You just store pairs and the map gives you easy access to your values. It is a bit more expensive than the lookup table but should not make a practical difference. If it turns out to be a problem in profiling later I can still change it but I doubt it.

At program start I calculate the material hashes of the combinations that I'm interested in and store them in the map. During search whenever the material on the board changes I have a look there

EEndGameId TBoard::calculateEndGameId()
{
    if (bb.pcsCount > 5 || endgames.count(getMaterialHash()) == 0) return EG_UNKNOWN;
    return endgames[getMaterialHash()];
}


Very elegant and I was able to get rid of an ugly module.