Sunday, June 2, 2013

Move ordering competition

At Talkchess Ed Schroeder launched a not to serious move ordering competition. The idea is to find out which program is most successful in ordering a move that gives a cutoff early in the list.



So basically every time a cutoff happens it is recorded at which move it happens. The sooner the better. Finally a ratio is build using a 30 second search with 10 positions.

iCE did not do so well here. This is not surprising as I spend only little effort in ordering the later moves. In more than 90% I get a cutoff at the first move and I did not care so much about the other 10%. I don't have history tables or a counter move heuristic. But obviously other (and stronger) programs do.

So this is something that makes in onto my todo list.

 Engine
 Pos 1 
 Pos 2 
 Pos 3 
 Pos 4 
 Pos 5 
 Pos 6 
 Pos 7 
 Pos 8 
 Pos 9 
 Pos 10 
 Average  
 Rank  
 ProDeo 1.85
1.35
1.51
1.22
1.42
1.34
1.26
1.27
1.19
1.35
1.42
1.330
6
 Komodo CCT
1.32
1.24
1.25
1.30
1.23
1.28
1.23
1.25
1.25
1.25
1.260
4
 Texel 1.02a25
1.20
 1.24 
1.17
1.32
1.17
1.13
1.16
1.14
1.15
1.16
1.184
2
 Nimrod
1.47
1.22
1.20
1.25
1.33
1.42
1.47
1.38
1.33
1.41
1.348
8
 Cheese 1.5 beta
1.39
1.30
1.24
1.32
1.40
1.35
1.32
1.32
1.38
1.31
1.333
7
 Rookie v3.7
1.32
1.24
1.23
1.25
1.20
1.20
1.27
1.26
1.28
1.19
1.244
3
 Crafty 23.6
1.41
1.43
1.30
1.47
1.29
1.23
1.29
1.26
1.28
1.24
1.320
5
 WaDuuttie
1.45
1.49
1.33
1.41
1.37
1.37
1.35
1.40
1.37
1.43
1.397
10
 Ice 0.4
1.56
1.36
1.25
1.37
1.46
1.42
1.21
1.26
1.58
1.31
1.378
9
 Fairy-Max 4.8R
2.20
3.69
2.64
3.93
3.10
2.77
2.27
2.52
3.10
3.16
2.938
12
 Troy32 4.46
1.20
1.16
1.15
1.20
1.19
1.17
1.19
1.20
1.15
1.17
1.178
1
 Vajolet 2.13
1.44
1.54
1.41
1.66
1.50
1.38
1.39
1.72
1.39
1.40
1.483
11